The Standards Development Division (SDD) is a unit in the Department of Research and Innovation (DRI). The SDD is the National Standards Body of Myanmar. A primary function of SDD is raising awareness and promoting the importance of documentary standards and the removal of technical barriers to trade and Myanmar National Quality Infrastructure as tools to improve market access, to transfer technology and to encourage good business practices and sustainable. SDD develops Myanmar National Voluntary Standards, adopts regional and international standards as National Standards and makes them available for Myanmar industry, government and other stakeholders.
Currently Myanmar has 34 Final Draft National Standards from 77 proposed National Standards, the majority of which are adopted international or regional standards. SDD has plans to adopt additional international standards in the near future.
The Role and Services of the Standards Development Division
- The SDD is the source for stakeholders to obtain copies of National and international standards, simply contact us.
- Monitoring and contributing to international and regional developments in standardization on behalf of Myanmar
- The SDD Provides information to Myanmar businesses and other government organization on standards and related conformity assessment issues
- SDD maintains a specialized library containing National and international standards and technical regulations which business and government organizations can use to search data on standards and other documents in the field of standardization.
The SDD is the Myanmar World Trade Organization’s Technical Barriers to Trade Enquiry Point. The TBT Enquiry Point was established to provide assistance, collect and provide advisory services on receiving and responding to enquiries from domestic and foreign countries on standardizations, technical regulations and conformity assessment procedures that are used for products that are sold in Myanmar and technical regulations for products that are exported or imported to or from other WTO member countries.
- The SDD conducts workshops and training on Quality Management Systems such as ISO 9001, ISO 14000, ISO22000, ISO 26000 to all stakeholders, in addition the SDD conducts workshops and seminars on Standardization to improve stakeholder knowledge and awareness of the benefits of utilizing Standards and conformity assessment procedures.
The SDD maintains a library of regional and international publications, brochures, etc. that is available to all stakeholders
- The SDD cooperates and is building linkages between the NSB and trade promotion organizations
Legislation governing the SDD
- Law on Standardization (promulgated) Date 3 July 2014
The National Standards Council
As required by the Law on Standardization, the National Standards Council was established -The Council is chaired by the Minister of MOST and Director General of DRI is the secretary.
SDD participation in regional and international standards organizations
- Myanmar is a member of ASEAN –SDD participates in working group on Standards and Mutual Recognition Arrangements concerning ASEAN Standards
- Myanmar is a Correspondent member of ISO since 2005
- Myanmar participates in IEC affiliate member program.
|ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is the world’s largest developer and publisher of International Standards.
ISO is a network of the national standards institutes of 162 countries, one member per country, with a Central Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, that coordinates the system.
|The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) is the world’s leading organization that prepares and publishes International Standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies.|
|ASTM International, formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), is a globally recognized leader in the development and delivery of international voluntary consensus standards.
Today, some 12,000 ASTM standards are used around the world to improve product quality, enhance safety, facilitate market access and trade, and build consumer confidence.